Arduino Micro Leonardo 12 axes joystick controller developed

General talk on hardware (share experience, ask for advice)
rvolarich

Arduino Micro Leonardo 12 axes joystick controller developed

Post by rvolarich »

Hello to the Sim-builder community!

My name is Robert and I am from Croatia. I developed a code to turn Arduino Leonardo and Micro into a joystick interface with 12 axes. It is compatible with the JeeHell FMGS software. Arduino appears on the Windows OS as three joysticks each having 4 axes. I don't know if the community already developed such a device, but I posted everything on the instructable:

https://www.instructables.com/USB-Joyst ... onardo-Mi/

I am about to finish developing another interface that can control 25 axes (5 joystick x 5 axes). The system uses one Arduino board and one PIC16F887 chip. With it, you can control 25 potentiometers as joystick axes through one USB port and it is very cheap to build.

If you think that such a device would be of good use to you, please let me know and I will try to finish it and publish it.

Best regards!
Robert

iwik

Re: Arduino Micro Leonardo 12 axes joystick controller developed

Post by iwik »

Hi,
I dont think i have seen such a device that handles 25 joysticks. I looked for such a device to interface acp pots, but had to use 3 arduinos configured for 8 joysticks.
So yes i think it would be worth it providing it isnt a big task.
Les

rvolarich

Post by rvolarich »

Hi Les

I meant 25 axes per one Arduino + PIC, not 25 joysticks. But the system is scalable. By adding an additional PIC chip you get another 13 channels. It should be possible to add as many as 128 PIC chips. The good thing is that PIC costs around $1,50.

Can you please tell me which Arduino card you used? I understood your explanation as that you have 3 Arduino cards each having 8 joysticks, so in total 24 joysticks? Windows joystick driver has 7 axes usable to control potentiometers, so if you managed to use them all (my experience is that when defining more than one joystick I could use max 5 axes per joystick, if I specified more than 5, the driver did not work properly, don't know why) that is 24x7 axes. Where did you source that many ADCs?

Best
Robert

iwik

Post by iwik »

Hi Robert,
Sorry for the late reply. My mistype, should have said 25 axis.
I am using 3 Arduino micros set up as 3 x 8 axis. Windows sees these as three joystick interfaces.
They have been loaded with MMjoy2 firmware. So if something like this can be combined on one card it would make
life easier.
Les

rvolarich

Post by rvolarich »

Hi Les,

I'll try to do it. I’m running out of time right now so it could take a while.

Best
Robert

iwik

Post by iwik »

Thanks Robert,
Just take your time.
Les