Overhead not connected

Ask here for software oriented support
bbruechmann

Overhead not connected

Post by bbruechmann »

JL, with the actual version, i´ve had the first time ever, that the overhead logic disconnects while FMGS is running. This happen randomly and without any special action. It happened now 2 times already, one time in midflight and one on the take off role. It´s just appears, that the Skalarki Overhead Panel isn´t responding anymore, while the overhead logic of JH FMGS shows it´s disconnected from Jeehell Server suddenly. In that case it´s even not possible to end just the overhead module of FMGS, though a process termination via the Windows process manager needs to be done. But if you then start the overhead logic with adminrights again, everything gets´s messed up because the overhead starts in cold&dark condition.
Regards
Bernd

P3D 6, I9-9900K overcl+ RTX3090 24GB, Skalarki Homecockpit + JH FMGS on a dedicated Server, AS/ASCA, EnVShade +Tex, PF3 + MCE, CorteManager + ExtPWR from CaptPERO, AIGAIM and many of add-on sceneries
thierryd

Re: Overhead not connected

Post by thierryd »

I am also using v57.2.0 and experienced the same issue. After completing a short flight and parking at the gate, the overhead disconnected from the FMGS Server. I am using Skalarki and the device was showing up correctly in the Profiler. On the other hand, the JeeHell Overhead window was reporting "Not responding". As I was on the ground I was able to kill the process and restart it, which forced the plane back to Cold & Dark but that was okay. I did successfully completed a second flight after that.
I never had this issue prior to today.
Thierry (aka Captain Tango) | Website: https://www.flightpathsimulation.club | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@captaintango
balu69

Post by balu69 »

I don't know if it's the same, mention it anyway. Sometimes the Skalarki RMP falls out for me. However, it is still visible in the device manager.
My workaround is to stop and restart the profile in the Skalarki Profiler. So I could continue my flight.

Ich weiss nicht, ob es das gleiche ist, erwähne es trotzdem. Bei mir fällt manchmal das Skalarki RMP raus. im Gerätemanager ist es hingegen noch sichtbar.
Meine Workaround ist, im Skalarki Profiler das Profile stopen und wieder neustarten. So konnte ich meine Flug weiterführen.
Greetings
Stephan

P3D V5.4, Skalarki FCU, MCDU, RMP, ECAM, TCAS, own OVH-Panel and MIP with Leo Bodnar and Arduino, Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder
P.S. translate by google
bbruechmann

Post by bbruechmann »

JL, i have monitored some weird things on this issue. When it happen that the overhead app (the internal logic, not the softwarepanel) stop working, it happen only after while in my case. I. ex. i can make 2 or 3 flights without any issue but then on the next flight the app freezes.
I have noticed, that before the OH freeze, that some LED´s on the Hardware Overhead from Skalarki flash for second if a button like engine antiice is pushed.
From a technical point of view, it could be just 3 variants causing the issue:

1. something hardware realated like a cold joint or a electrical shortening in the Overheadpanels let the FMGS overhead app freeze.
2. the skalarki profiler is somehow corrupting the overhead app and let it freeze
3. the overhead app itself has an issue which let it just freeze.

The weird thing is, that i´ve had already other different issues on the Skalarki side in the past, like loosing the USB connection midflight of several panels, or even electrical issues, but non of those ever result in freezing an application of Jeehell. This appeares first time since the new Jeehell version is in use and it´s also restricted to the overhead logic only.

My FCU from Skalarki has an issue of a cold joint somewhere, which shows up occassionally by loosing the indications of the EFIS buttons or the Displays show crazy figures etc. It already went that far, that the USB connection of the FCU got corrupted and the HW FCU stopped working, but did NOT trigger the FCU app of Jeehell to freeze.
This is something really new.
Regards
Bernd

P3D 6, I9-9900K overcl+ RTX3090 24GB, Skalarki Homecockpit + JH FMGS on a dedicated Server, AS/ASCA, EnVShade +Tex, PF3 + MCE, CorteManager + ExtPWR from CaptPERO, AIGAIM and many of add-on sceneries
jeehell
Site Admin

Post by jeehell »

Hi

I do not have any experience of the OVHD logic App crashing, I will see what I can find about that...
Regards,
Jean Luc
bbruechmann

Post by bbruechmann »

Just for additional information: As i have said at the beginning of this thread, when the overhead logic app got freezed, the only possible way to unload it is to terminate it via the taskmanager. If i restart the overhead logic afterwards manually again, everything works again well as usual, without any change on the hardware side, nor a change or restart of the Profiler etc.,except from that i have to re-set the aircraft status as it was when the logic freezed.
I. ex., if i was at the runway, waiting for take-off with engines running and all items set for take-off, i need to switch on the Batteries again, the INRS, engines and lights etc., in fact everything which is set or controlled by the overhead. The Flightplan informations and performance settings of the MCDU for that interrupted flight stay in the FMGS, and i can continue the flight without any further issues.
Regards
Bernd

Buford

Post by Buford »

I can confirm from time to time I also have the issue of a freezing OHP since last weeks. I will observe that to supply further details.
See you in the skies…
thierryd

Post by thierryd »

I had another Overhead disconnect on my flight today. It came relatively early, as I was still on the ground, during the takeoff roll. Task Manager reported "Not Responding". Interestingly, either at the time of the disconnect or shortly thereafter, I got the following ECAM message: ""VENT SKIN VALVE FAULT". Not sure it is is relevant but thought I would share.
Thierry (aka Captain Tango) | Website: https://www.flightpathsimulation.club | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@captaintango
mangione

Post by mangione »

I also have the issue of a freezing Overhead during takeoff with a ecam "VENT SKIN VALVE FAULT" that I think id related to the packs off during take roll, in the fmgs server the overhead was not connected, the only part of the overhead panel that was ok was the GPWS panel that has another logic so the problem is not from the Skalarki side, version 58.0.2
dkreiskott

Post by dkreiskott »

bbruechmann wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:11 pm I have noticed, that before the OH freeze, that some LED´s on the Hardware Overhead from Skalarki flash for second if a button like engine antiice is pushed.
Hi Bernd, hi JL,

In recent weeks I have not had so much time to fly. In my few flights, the Overhead has not crashed.
But I can confirm that from time to time some LED's flicker briefly for me as well.
However, I do not have to press a button for this.
Regards
Dieter

A320 cockpit Prepar3d v5.4 with full voice control for ATC and ground crew
Developer of EWD Overlay and Home Cockpit Builder
Flynn75

Post by Flynn75 »

dkreiskott wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:54 am
bbruechmann wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:11 pm I have noticed, that before the OH freeze, that some LED´s on the Hardware Overhead from Skalarki flash for second if a button like engine antiice is pushed.
Hi Bernd, hi JL,

In recent weeks I have not had so much time to fly. In my few flights, the Overhead has not crashed.
But I can confirm that from time to time some LED's flicker briefly for me as well.
However, I do not have to press a button for this.
Hello JL,

Same thing here. Started from B57. After update on B58 it's happened rarely but still happen.
In B57 the lights always stuck and I did light test to reset it, B58 solved this thing.
I'm using fscockpit hardware.
Hope you will help!
bbruechmann

Post by bbruechmann »

Hello JL,
as the issue of the OVHD-app crashes sometimes still persisting, i have tried a workarround by end this app manually, right after all Jeehell parts once loaded, and then i restart the ovhd.exe again by right click and "start with adminrights.
If i do it this way, the app doesn´t crash, even after 8 hours of fly. Of course this can be luck, only, but maybe it helps you to find a culprit. It seems the crash happens only if the ovhd.exe was loaded by the "starter.app"
Regards
Bernd

jeehell
Site Admin

Post by jeehell »

I do not see any reason for having less bugs by closing then starting that application manually to be honnest...
Regards,
Jean Luc
bbruechmann

Post by bbruechmann »

hm...not knowing how the starter app exactly calls the executables, i thought it´s maybe an issue caused by accessrights, or the order in which the apps are started or how the state of the app is set for cold & dark etc. As you know, some of us have also different weird behavior, where for some of us the landing lights are stated as ON while the Skalarki HW is set to OFF and there´s no reason for the app to have LL on at cold & dark, for others the trim setting is going to 1 up or down and for others again different systems of the Overhead are not set for cold & dark.

Maybe it´s an issue with the Skalarki Profiler which read out the actual HW state of each button and switch at startup, etc. etc.

The most important part from my perspective is, that in fact many user, if not all, never reported this kind of app-freeze until Version 57. You are the only one who really knows, what was changed to this app from V56 to V57. Maybe there´s a trace.
Regards
Bernd

michael1508

Post by michael1508 »

I now also had the "pleasure" the first time that the Skalarki Overhead lost connection.
Same effects as many have described above.

So let me atry to add to the swarming approach to find the root cause:
What can I add:
- I have been on B57 for quite a while and since summer on B58 without any issue
- I have recently installed a new motherboard and CPU and also after that everything was stable
- yesterday I changed my AA settings, which I used all the years from 8xMSAA to 4xSSAA. Then during line up on the RWY I realized that the OVHD disconnected.

I am wondering, if it could be caused by too demanding settings or stucked data flow??? I realized, that the change of AA had quite an impact on CPU and GPU.
Regards
Michael

P3D v5.4 | Skalarki | 3 projector 180° screen | i9-13900k | RTX 4080
balu69

Post by balu69 »

Good morning
I don't have a skalarki ovhd panel but I would like to briefly write about my topic with the mcdu - not because I need a solution, but maybe this will help with your problem too.
It happens that the mcdu no longer responds to keystrokes. When I stop the profile in the skalarki profile and do the I/O test, I see that the keys don't respond and one key (usually 1lk) is "stuck" and therefore the whole mcdu no longer works. If I turn it off, it works again. I had the feeling it was the power supply but it was probably a mechanical problem.
good luck with the ovhd
Greetings
Stephan

P3D V5.4, Skalarki FCU, MCDU, RMP, ECAM, TCAS, own OVH-Panel and MIP with Leo Bodnar and Arduino, Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder
P.S. translate by google
thierryd

Post by thierryd »

Unfortunately I have to report that I have observed the Overhead disconnected issue 3 times in the last 2 weeks. I have been using B60 for maybe 5-6 weeks now but I don't know if it related to the upgrade or not. It seems that the issue was less frequent (maybe even absent?) with B59 (but present on prior versions as indicated at the beginning of this thread).
Symptoms are always the same: no reaction from any switch or button on the overhead and the overhead.exe is showing "not responding" in Task Manager. It seems to me that the issue mostly happens relatively early in the flight (while still on the ground, so maybe after 15-30 minutes or so). It is thus somewhat recoverable: kill the unresponsive overhead task and start the exe again. The plane will lose electrical power and you will have to reset all the switches/buttons on the overhead but the MCDUs will keep the information entered so far. However the IRS lose alignment which I am not sure how to best deal with (I have to re-enter the departure and arrival airports and lose the flight plan unless I remember to copy it into the secondary flight plan).
Capt. PERO

Post by Capt. PERO »

I have the same issue but not very frequent (2 times per year). But I wrote a small piece of software, that monitors a target application. If the application is crashed, it will be killed and restarted. That works fine even with the ovhd.exe.

If it is for interest - please write me a PM. I don't have it on my website so far...

Example with "calc.exe":
Viele Grüße / with best regards,
Peter

: : : aviation.pero-online.de
Developer of SIMstarter NG P3D & Homecockpit Builder
dkreiskott

Post by dkreiskott »

Yesterday I updated to the current version. This morning I did my first test flight. During the flight the Ovhd.exe crashed again.

Since the OVHD.EXE was reduced in size, I tried to bring it back to full screen. That does not work. However, all the lamps on the overhead light up afterwards. The two engine fire engines are then on at the TQ.

I realize that it's not easy to find a sporadic error, so it would definitely be an idea to add logging here that we can turn on for debugging purposes. Otherwise we certainly won't be able to find this error.

https://ibb.co/KK97gDF

https://ibb.co/TtNDcxT
Regards
Dieter

A320 cockpit Prepar3d v5.4 with full voice control for ATC and ground crew
Developer of EWD Overlay and Home Cockpit Builder
Mackenroll

Post by Mackenroll »

dkreiskott wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:41 am Yesterday I updated to the current version. This morning I did my first test flight. During the flight the Ovhd.exe crashed again.

Since the OVHD.EXE was reduced in size, I tried to bring it back to full screen. That does not work. However, all the lamps on the overhead light up afterwards. The two engine fire engines are then on at the TQ.

I realize that it's not easy to find a sporadic error, so it would definitely be an idea to add logging here that we can turn on for debugging purposes. Otherwise we certainly won't be able to find this error.

https://ibb.co/KK97gDF

https://ibb.co/TtNDcxT
Exactly the same thing happens to me.
Overhead.exe stops working.
masterp

Post by masterp »

Exactly the same issue happens to me, but very randomly.
Once the ovhd were not responding at the beginning of the flight (when taxi out for departure), once the ovhd were not responding at the end of the flight (when taxi in to the gate).

Each time the ovhd not responding, the Engine start panel also not responding as well.
Thanks,
Phuong Vu